Monday, August 15, 2011

Shopping for life


This story happened few months before and there is a reason why I am bringing it up today. On one of my visits home, as I was unpacking, I saw my brand new Levis curve id sitting untouched underneath all that piles of clothes. I took it up, wore them and went straight to my mom .As usual she was busy with her paper works and it took me more than 10 minutes to get her attention. After walking up and down the stairs for quite some time she gave that weird look from behind her glasses and asked me” I see, you have been walking up and down for quite some time. Shoot it!!”. With my enthusiasm running high I settle in a chair next to her “Amma you didn’t notice I bought a new Jeans”. She sheepily gazed at my jeans and nodded.”Well, I bought it from Levis” I continued with my conversation. And for people who know my mom the next question is quite obvious “How much ?”. I knew this awkward moment would come, but I seriously don’t like hiding anything from mom so, I tried to keep down my voice as much as I can and muttered ”3K +”. She nearly dropped her pen and looked at me with her brow crouched at a weird angle. She picked up the conversation minutes later and stared tapping her fingers in a rhythmic fashion on the table “don’t you think it’s little costly for a pair of saggy jeans”. There is no point arguing with her so, I nodded my head and sat through the whole lecture of how money is precious. Whole of the incident happened AFTER I was placed and earning. One week after, we went to a Saree boutique while I slouched on the chair waiting for my mom to finish her shopping. She picked up a saree and trusted the bill on to my hands. As I had a look at the bills my heart skipped a beat, 6K? And that too for a silly Saree one would wear to maximum 3-4 occasions per year? What happened to the whole cash is precious thing?. My jeans would definitely have a better lifespan that the saree. On our way back I bought up the conversation and this was my mom’s answer” Well Levis is costly but for a saree the money that I spent is clearly visible, anyone having a first glance at this would know it’s worth 5k but, your baggy jeans does it look like it cost you a bomb?. I was so angry that I kept my mouth shut and in yet another week’s time forgot all about it until last day when I went in to buy a shawl. I love my FabIndia shawls and after spending 1.9 k over a purple one I found that the shawl doesn’t exactly match with the shade of my top L. I was vaining and complaining the same to my fiancé and in between all the drama he put up the formidable question “Anyways how much did it cost you?. Max 300-400!! forget it”. I had this lump down my throat when I corrected his amount as 300*6. I could hear nothing but, silence from the other end and then a sudden explosion ”WHAT THE HELL!!!You spending so much over a silly shawl”. I couldn’t hold back my tears and burst off ”I am earning, and it I can’t enjoy a part of it then why should I even bother to work?”. Well, that gave Mr. MBA some management gyaan in HR.

I seriously don’t know why my parents hate branded stuff and still don’t mind spending double or triple for a local boutique stuff. Do we wear clothes to impress others or to feel good about ourselves?

Image courtesy:ZARA

No comments: