Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Life as you know it!!

I was hurt, why wouldn't I be?. I am not a robot to pretend like I am not hurt. After days of planning, me and my GFs decided to take a day off from our busy schedule and unwind in a resort close to Bangalore. There is something I need you guys to know before I start my ranting: I am the only married girl in the group of four. So, when I put this topic for discussion my hubby happily agreed, even he felt I needed a break from the usual routine. We girls left for the resort on Saturday evening, after a whale of a time returned back on Sunday afternoon. In between I had received few calls from my dad, which I didn't respond to. On Sunday afternoon, husband informs that dad had asked him where I was. Oh by the way my parents had no fucking clue I had gone out with my GFs. My husband carefully avoided the question by saying I was with friends, well he skipped the overnight-tent-camping-girls-alone statement out . 

I for one, doesn't want to be dishonest with my parents so, I casually mentioned it to my dad that I had a night out and comes the weirdest reply from him 

Dad: What you did is wrong
Me: Why?
Dad: You shouldn't have let your husband and gone off like that 
Me: Dad, he is not a kid, he can take care of himself. I went to a resort , with proper safety and with my bunch of girls
Dad: Who else is married from the group
Me: None
Dad: See, married girls don't go for night outs, they stay at home with their husbands
Me: My life dad, what is the big deal, my husband is perfectly ok with the whole thing then why do you guys bother
Dad: what will your in-laws think?. Is this the way we brought you up?
Me: for the last 24 years, I lived by your rules dad, I have never boozed or partied cause I didn't want to disappoint you, but then Im 25 now I can take my own decisions

By this time my husband realized the conversation was going out of control, he snatched the phone from me and ended the conversation.

This is when I realized something:  I used to take pride in the fact that my parents were unlike any others: They were cooler, accepting parents. Now, if you think a lil hard you will understand that they were not, they were like any other parents...only thing is I always sacrificed my teenage dreams for em, I studied my ass off, got a job, didn't let my mind stray...I never gave em a reason to be unhappy. 

After marriage my actions are more weighed by my dad and mom and eventually everything boils down to what my in-laws think. I can never forget that tight slap from my mom last time I visited home (post marriage) Wanna care to hear the reason?. I was having bad contractions and kept on crying for seeing a doctor. My mom however blandly refused to take me to a doctor and the reason she gave was "what will my in-laws think if I was taken to a doc for such silly things". I cried and cried and finally the bodily pain was erased off by the tight slap my mom placed on my cheeks. More than the pain inflicted on my body it was a sense of disappointment,  a feeling of being let down by your own parents for what??? To please people who doesn't even know the pain I go through each month.

At some point all the parents want for their girl child is an approval from the in-laws. But, why???I  need to please no one but myself for whatever actions I perform in my life. I have a life ahead which I am not willing to sacrifice just cause I am married. I am not willing to give up doing anything cause I am married. Marriage is an union of like minded partners who treat each other with respect and as an individual. I am lucky to have someone like this in my life. Thanks G, but then it's also upto the parents to trust me in making my own decisions ....not out of pressure. I may stumble and fall, watch me grow not proon me to be like how you want the world to perceive me.

More rambling coming your way cause there are some life changing decisions to be made in the coming days. Stay tuned!!

5 comments:

a mom's diet said...

oh freak!!!
though i cannot understand ur situation i def. feel very bad for wat u are going thru.
trust me , u have a gem of a person as ur husband. if he trusts u and believes in wat u want n stands by u, u need not worry ant anyone else...
as far as parents go; they just love u too much and want u to b very careful. their generation hears a lot of divorces happening around and want their girl to stay away from that word all the time... they are just concerned.
dontcha worry, everything will b super fine very soon.
take care...
u may write to me privately in case u need an ear for all this rumbles..
my life is on the same track as urs (even the age n the marriage phase)
now smile for the wonderful t hings u have around u ... :)
cheers!
kunj
kohllined.blogspot.com

p.s have u entered my march giveaway yet?
http://kohllined.blogspot.in/2013/03/idrc-eac9490-classrafl-hrefhttpwww.html

Swarnali said...

I won't say I went through anything like what you mentioned but it sure hurts real bad when you realise that your own parents are not very different from the rest of the lot you think are narrow minded. I mean I took a lot of pride about the same sometime back...but then along came some disappointments... But then they are people too and having lived so long in some old world ideas, I think it is kinda difficult for them to open up to ideas in my world. So I don't really blame them anymore. I hope things improve at your side. *tightest hug for you*

Anonymous said...

Don't u feel this post contradicts with your earlier post titled 'MISTAKES'???????

Thripti Aravind said...

@Anonymous:Nop....It totally two different context...Iv never asked him to do things for someone or to satisfy someone.....It's for him...iv always shared him what I did wrong in my life...but then those advice are infact forming his decisions...

Nikitha Anish said...

I understand what you going through.I always get that from mom..I keep repeatingly tell her that it is my life and I know how to make my own decisions..

Now it has come to a point that my mom knows whatever she says will not bother me anymore..

It is ur life.If your hubby has no problem,then why should anyone else?We girls get married,study,work,give birth and all..We need some slacks at times in our lives too..Just becz we got married does not mean we have to be with our husbands 24/7..That is total rubbish..

Cannot help it too because that is how the older generations are..